Tuesday, January 21, 2014

FedEx Day

http://www.businessnc.com/articles/2012-09/regional-report-triad-september-2012-category/
http://www.businessnc.com/articles/2012-09/regional-report-triad-september-2012-category/
Yesterday we launched our first FedEx Day at Byram Intermediate.  For those of you who don't know, Fed Ex Day is when the teachers spend the day designing innovative teaching practices and then present what they have created at the end of the day.  It was the first time teachers in my school had a professional development day like this, and they blew me away with what they were able to do.  As I walked from room to room their excitement was contagious and their passion for teaching was palpable.  Here are the steps it took us to have our Fed Ex Day.

Step 1:   Consult the Experts

I sent a message out on Twitter asking if anyone had ran a Fed Ex Day at their school and +Jenna Shaw reached out was a a tremedous help.  She shared with me the format she had used at her school and put me in contact with +Lyn Hilt who has done tremendous work with FedEx Days in her distritct. Without these two experts there is no way we would have been able to pull off what we did.

Step 2:   What is Your Sentence?



As educators we have so many mandates pushed upon us.  There is always a new teaching strategy that must be used in the classroom every few years, and because of this teachers can sometimes forget why we got into education in the first place.  We wanted our teachers to reconnect with the reasons why they got into education, and find their passion.  The teachers created their sentences and posted them on a Google Presentation Slide for all the teachers to see.  As I looked at these slides I could feel the passion our teachers had, and their desire help our students learn and grow.

Step 3:    What Motivates?



The teachers had to list 5 things that motivate them and 5 things that motivate students.  The reason for this was to have the teachers focus on inspiring students to learn.  So many times we throw things at students, ask them to learn, and then when they don't, we call them lazy, or unprepared.  It is our job as educators to inspire students to want to learn.


Step 4:   Developing a Plan




Teachers were allowed to work with anyone they wanted to create an innovative teaching practice.   The teachers filled out a Google Form to let the administration know who would be in their group, what they were going to accomplish and where they would be working.  This allowed the teachers to have a game plan when they arrived for Fed Ex Day and let me know where I could go visit and check in on the work they were doing.  Teachers were encouraged to keep their groups to about three, but we had groups as large as eight that did a brilliant job.  

Step 5:   Get to Work!

Teachers arrived and we had bagels, muffins, and pancakes to load up on carbs before everyone got to work.  As the teachers got to work I would float from room to room and listen to the plans the teachers were unrolling.  It was not easy for all groups to get rolling right away.  Some of the groups struggled with their scope and how 'big' to make the project they were working on. The teachers wanted to do something GREAT, and I got the feeling they were nervous that they wouldn't be able to complete their work by the end of the day.  We worked together to get past those fears, and we didn't allow 'perfect' to become the enemy of great.  

Step 6:  Deliver!




At the end of our Fed Ex Day it is time to deliver.  Each group had 60 seconds to present their creation to the rest of the staff.  The teachers would come up to the front of our All-Purpose Room and if they were able to create a digital link they could show some of what they created, or they could simply explain what they were able to do.  I was so proud of our staff, who has never had PD to learn about Google Docs or digital tools attempt to use these types of technology.  Some were successful with the technology while others were not, but I was so impressed that they were willing to take a risk and try.  It was such a great experience for the teachers to hear what everyone else was working on.  I know I was amazed at the ideas, energy, and innovative teaching practices our teachers were able to produce.  As I used my iPhone timer to try and keep everyone to 60 seconds and respect their time, I soon realized some teachers were so proud of the work they had done there was no way I was getting the mic back after a minute.  They wanted to share with everyone the amazing things they created, and  I couldn't blame them at all.  I cannot list all the brilliant and dynamic lesson the teachers created in this space, but I encourage you to go here to see what they created.  Please note they are still being updated.

Step 7:  Reflect

This is my first year in the Byram school district, and my first year as an administrator.  This was by far my favorite day on the job so far!  As I reflect upon the day there are a few things I learned:    

I learned just how passionate our teachers are about what they do!

I learned if you are born in Puerto Rico, you can run in a Presidential Election, but cannot vote.

60 seconds isn't long enough for teachers to share what they have created for Fed Ex Day.  

I learned if we want teachers to take risks we need to support them with time to collaborate.  

It is easier to take a risk, to take that first scary step, when someone is doing it with you.  

We are all better when we work together.

One Fed Ex Day is not enough....I hope to do this again next year!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on a successful day- love that you incorporated the What motivates you? piece and making the connection to student motivation. You're right, one Fed Ex day is not enough! That type of autonomy and empowerment is what we need to strive to incorporate in everyday development practices for our teachers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your feedback Lyn. I agree we need to try and incorporate choice and autonomy into our PD this year. Thanks for your help along the way, I couldn't have done it without you.

      Delete
  2. WOW!! AWESOME!! I am love this whole idea - thank you so much for sharing this with us John! Clearly it was a transformational day for you and your staff - empowering, exciting and personalized! Those are three important qualities all effective PD should embody! THANK YOU for inspiring me!
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Tony! It was a great day and we are working to have more and more of our PD become more personalized this year. Next year we will work on changing the structure of our faculty meetings to become more personalized as well. I believe you call them "Enhancement Opportunities?"

      Delete